You’d think the title states the obvious… but not SO obvious I tell you.
You have to know where you’re going to be able to plan your steps accordingly. This is just like setting up an itinerary to go somewhere, whether you are checking out the roads on a map or typing in your addresses in your GPS. If you have no clear view of where you want to go, how can you really be sure of how to get there??
Take a moment to think about what you want for yourself. Where do you want to go, what do you want to achieve? Take out your Journal and write the picture of what this life looks like in detail.
- If you dream of building a small business, what is the business exactly? How will you bring in revenue? How will you fill your days? What aspect of the business will bring you most happiness? How will your project suit the other aspects of your life, your family, social interactions or romance?
- If you dream of finding the perfect companion for your path, what type of relationship are you looking for exactly? Do you want a friend to travel the world with or a spouse to live with in a more sedentary setting? Do you want to have children, dogs, a big house with a picket fence? Do you prefer a non committal relationship instead?
- If you dream of building your financial freedom, what does this mean for you exactly?
- If you want to be successful, which definition will you be using? What does that look like and what is the picture you can draw for yourself? Through this picture, which aspect(s) of your life do you need to work on?
Sometimes we have a vague idea of where we want to go and we actually do make strides towards that overall outcome. Yet not having a CLEAR idea of what this objective looks like, prevents us from having a precise roadway to it. Step after step, we are not sure how much closer we are to the goal.
Answering the questions above (or questions that pertain more particularly to your desired outcome), will allow you to know precisely where you are headed. Knowing your destination and stating where you are today, it becomes easier to map the path.
At this point, your GPS can do the rest of the work… Okay not really. You still have to do all the work, but doesn’t it become easier to plan it now?
- If I know my business will involve speaking in public, then now I can work towards the goal of offering seminars. Step by step, from offering small workshops for free, practicing my speaking skills and planning to grow this activity with a bigger audience each time, I can achieve my goal. If I know my business will involve publishing a book, I may want to plan my steps including speaking with published authors as a start.
So where are you today and where are you headed, EXACTLY? How can this CLEAR picture help you set your goals and next steps today?